Meet The Pastor
Gary A. Thomas
Hi, I’m Gary; let me tell you a little about my background. I am the middle child of native Floridians, a United Methodist Minister and a school teacher. I grew up in the church and have been active at every level of the church. I’ve taken part in local church, district, and conference, national and even international events. I’ve been active in big churches, small churches, and those in between. I’ve felt a calling to ministry since my youth and it has taken me all over the country, getting involved in many different kinds of ministry. I feel that all those experiences have prepared me for this time, and this place, and I’m so happy to be here. I look forward to meeting and getting to know you as we join together in this journey of faith.
Here are some of the things that have had a big impact on my life and influenced my faith:
- Florida Conference Youth President, United Methodist Church
- Team Member at the Warren W. Willis Youth Camp - Leesburg, FL
- National Youth Ministry Organization, Youth Associate for 2 years -Dayton, OH and Nashville, TN
- Delegate to World Methodist Conference
- Appalachia Service Project staff for 5 years as Center Director and headquarters offices - Barbourville, KY, Whitley City KY, Harrogate, TN, Nashville, TN
- Master of Divinity from Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- Ordained Deacon in United Methodist Church
- United Methodist Publishing House staff for 30 years, serving in the national headquarters office and Manager of the Clearwater, FL Cokesbury Store
- Anona United Methodist Church staff since 2010
Married since 1994 to Jacalyn (Jackie) Thomas, we have a blended family of 3 children; Jennifer (1982), Jonathan (1986), and Jeffrey (1987) and two daughter-in-laws, Katie and Stephanie. My mother and sister live nearby as well as other in-laws and out-laws (you know what I mean). The children have places nearby of their own now, but the cats they once brought home are still living with us, Phatty, Oreo, and Peanut. We have experienced the pain of loss, divorce, cancer and other life events, but we also have experienced love, joy, happiness, kindness, and peace that come from family, friends, and our faith. These experiences help us support and stand together in Christian community as we make a difference in the lives of each other as well as those we meet in our daily journey.
Contact Info - firstname.lastname@example.org or (727) 595-2581 x225