Meet The Pastor
Gary A. Thomas
Hi, I’m Gary; let me tell you a little about my background. I am the middle child of native Floridians, a United Methodist Minister and a school teacher. I grew up in the church and have been active at every level of the church. I’ve taken part in local church, district, and conference, national and even international events. I’ve been active in big churches, small churches, and those in between. I’ve felt a calling to ministry since my youth and it has taken me all over the country, getting involved in many different kinds of ministry. I feel that all those experiences have prepared me for this time, and this place, and I’m so happy to be here. I look forward to meeting and getting to know you as we join together in this journey of faith.
Here are some of the things that have had a big impact on my life and influenced my faith:
- Florida Conference Youth President, United Methodist Church
- Team Member at the Warren W. Willis Youth Camp - Leesburg, FL
- National Youth Ministry Organization, Youth Associate for 2 years -Dayton, OH and Nashville, TN
- Delegate to World Methodist Conference
- Appalachia Service Project staff for 5 years as Center Director and headquarters offices - Barbourville, KY, Whitley City KY, Harrogate, TN, Nashville, TN
- Master of Divinity from Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- Ordained Deacon in United Methodist Church
- United Methodist Publishing House staff for 30 years, serving in the national headquarters office and Manager of the Clearwater, FL Cokesbury Store
- Anona United Methodist Church staff since 2010
I have experienced the joy of marriage and a child, the pain of divorce, the joy of a second marriage and a blended family, and the pain of that wife dying of cancer. I presently have three children; Jennifer (1982), Jonathan (1986) and his wife Stephanie, and Jeffrey (1987) and his wife Katie. I've been blessed with a beautiful granddaughter, Charlotte, born in 2017. My mother (95 this year) and sister live nearby as well as relatives and many wonderful friends. I inherited cats from my children that somehow never managed to go with them once they moved out of the house, Phatty is 19 and Peanut is 8. I like you have experienced many of life's ups and down, the pains and the sorrows , but have also experienced love, joy, happiness, kindness, and peace that come from family, friends, and our faith. These experiences help us support and stand together in Christian community as we make a difference in the lives of each other as well as those we meet in our daily journey.
Contact Info - firstname.lastname@example.org or (727) 595-2581 x225